How to use WhatsApp on PC
Having a smartphone with you at all times helps you check for WhatsApp messages quickly. However, there are times that you just want to look at your PC monitor and not glance at your phone every few seconds for WhatsApp notifications. If you don’t want to get a stiff neck, there are various ways to use WhatsApp on PC.
Methods to use WhatsApp on PC
There are three ways that you can get started on using WhatsApp on your PC. The WhatsApp development team has already made it easy for you to use the messenger outside of your phone, but there are some things that we’ll need to do first. In any case, here are the methods you can use so you’ll be able to check WhatsApp messages on PC. You can use WhatsApp on your computer by:
- Using the WhatsApp Web Client
- Downloading the WhatsApp Desktop Client
- Utilizing an Android Emulator (Bluestacks)
There are benefits to using each method so let’s take it one step at a time and see how you can use them.
Using the WhatsApp Web Client
If you want to quickly use WhatsApp on your PC without the hassle of downloading anything, then using the WhatsApp Web Client is your solution. The Web Client basically would be running WhatsApp on your browser. Note that you still need to have your phone with you to securely log in to the web client. You also need to make sure that your phone has a working camera because you’ll be using a QR code.
Here’s what you’ll need to do to use WhatsApp on your PC Browser:
- Open your web browser and go to web.whatsapp.com
- You’ll see instructions and a QR card. Prepare your phone.
- Open WhatsApp on your smartphone. Make sure that you’re signed into Whatsapp, otherwise, this will not work.
- Tap Menu in the upper right corner or settings and select WhatsApp Web
- Point your phone camera at the QR code to capture it.
- You’ll be signed into the app shortly.
- Enjoy using WhatsApp on your browser!
The only problem that I have with the web client is that you can’t use keyboard shortcuts. What’s good about the web client though is that you can access it instantly. No download required. However, if you’re looking for features, then you might want to download the feature-rich Desktop client.
Using the WhatsApp Desktop Client
There are a lot of extra features that the WhatsApp Desktop Client offers. One is that it is a dedicated application just for WhatsApp, so you can expect it to be fast. Another is that you can use shortcuts and other tricks to make your WhatsApp conversations easy and effortless. I might even argue that the Desktop Client is better than the app itself.
- Go to the WhatsApp download page – whatsapp.com/download/
- On the right side of the screen, click on Download for Windows
- The download should start shortly (133 MB), simply wait for it to finish downloading and run the app
- There’s no need to install. The program is a stand-alone program.
- Go to your phone and open WhatsApp
- Click the Settings button in the upper left and click on WhatsApp web
- Point your phone camera at the QR code
- The client should start signing you in.
The WhatsApp Desktop client is a great application to jumpstart your conversations on PC. The only caveat that I have with the app is the file size. For most of you, downloading a hefty 133 MB might take a while. For me, it took 7 minutes but for those with less reliable internet connections, you might have a headache before you get it downloaded.
Other than that file size issue, I’ve got no other gripes with the Desktop Client. It allows you to keep in touch with your loved ones and you’ve got lots of features at your disposal to improve your efficiency.
Utilizing an Android Emulator (Bluestacks)
If you’re used to the Android interface and you can’t stand the Desktop and Web Clients, then you can use an Android Emulator such as Bluestacks. With Bluestacks, you’ll be able to have a virtual environment. Imagine that you have your phone on your PC. If you do go through the Bluestacks route, you’ll need to download the app through the Play Store.
Here’s how you can use WhatsApp on Bluestacks:
- Download the Bluestacks program through bluestacks.com
- Click on the Download button to start downloading it (414 MB)
- Once downloaded, install the program on your PC and run it
- Search for WhatsApp on Google Play
- Install WhatsApp on your Bluestacks
- You’ll sign in to WhatsApp the same way as you do on your phone
Bluestacks is useful for things other than WhatsApp you can use other apps on it like Facebook and you can even play games on it. If you’re into competitive mobile games, then Bluestacks might improve your gameplay. Essentially, you’ve brought your mobile phone onto your desktop and it’s an awesome experience to do what you usually do but on your PC.
There are a lot of caveats to using Bluestacks though, one is that the download is quite large. So you’ll need to make sure that you have enough bandwidth to download it quickly. Another caveat is that you’ll need a fairly fast machine to run it smoothly. According to the website, 2GB of RAM should be enough but if you have more it will run smoother. Frankly, Bluestacks might not be for everyone because not everyone has medium specs PCs to run it efficiently. But if you have the hardware to run it, then why not use it?
To sum it all up, you’ve seen here the methods to use WhatsApp on your PC. The Web Client is easy enough to use, but the common denominator for the two other methods is that you’ll need to download a fairly large file. In any case, each one has its own pros and cons so you’ll just have to weigh what you need and what you don’t.
Did these methods help you? Let me know in the comments!