How to Turn Off WhatsApp Notifications on Android
WhatsApp is a very popular app right now and I’m pretty sure that you yourself have the app installed on your phone. It’s easy to get in touch with your friends and family with the app. However, there are times that you want to have peace and quiet but your phone keeps notifying you of new messages. You might be wondering how you can mute WhatsApp notifications or completely turn it off altogether. You can easily turn off WhatsApp notifications on Android. Here’s how you can do it.
How to Turn Off WhatsApp Notifications on Android
There are many ways you can go about muting your notifications. Android has the ability to mute notifications already built in, but the settings are also available in the app itself. But if you like to mute a specific contact on WhatsApp, or you’d like to mute a group on WhatsApp, the steps would be slightly different.
To make it simple, we’ll be tackling how to turn off WhatsApp Notifications:
- Completely Off using Android Settings
- Completely Off using the App
- For a Specific Contact
- For a Group
Let’s start with turning notifications off completely!
Turn Off WhatsApp Notifications Completely using Android Settings
Android has made it easy to mute notifications for all apps on your phone, especially for messenger apps. If ever that you want to mute WhatsApp Notifications completely, here’s how you can accomplish that using the Android settings.
- Find the Notification settings on your Android phone. I’m using my Oppo F5 for this demonstration but you might have similar options available. You’re generally looking for the “Notifications” setting on your phone.
- Once you’ve found the Notification option, click on Manage Notifications.
- You’ll be given a list of apps that you currently have installed. Select WhatsApp from the list. If you have other apps that you’d like to Mute notifications on, then you can definitely do it on this screen as well.
- Now that you’ve selected the app, the next step is to simply toggle the “Allow Notifications”. Alternatively, you can modify what kind of notifications you’re going to get for WhatsApp, if you’d like just visual notifications and no sound and vibration, then you can set it up here.
- Enjoy using your phone without any notifications!
Turn Off WhatsApp Notifications Completely within the App
Turning notifications on the app itself can’t get any easier. It’s as simple as going into the app and just disabling notifications. Here’s an outline of what you’ll need to do disable WhatsApp notifications completely using the app:
- On the WhatsApp main screen, click on the Options buttons (upper right button) and tap on settings.
- In the settings menu, tap on Notifications. Here’s you’ll be able to see the various settings you can tweak to mute notifications.
- If you’d like to completely turn off notifications, you’ll need to untick the Conversation Tones settings. Additionally, make sure that Vibrate is set to Off and Popup notification to No Popup. Lastly, make sure that Use high priority notifications is also unticked.
- Once you’ve unchecked all of these options then you should be able to enjoy using your phone without those pesky notifications from WhatsApp! Enjoy.
And that’s how you can stop notifications completely using both the Android settings and the app itself. The steps are pretty easy to do and you won’t encounter many problems. The only downside of using these methods is that the notifications are completely off. If there’s an important group or specific person, then you will not be notified when they message you.
But if you want to simply mute notifications for Groups (or specific groups or people), then you can follow the next steps.
Turn Off Notifications for Groups
Muting notifications for all your groups is also simple to do. You’ll be able to make the adjustments in the app itself. Here’s what you need to do turn off notifications completely for groups:
- Navigate to the options menu again by clicking on the three horizontal dots on the upper right-hand corner. Once the menu pops up, click on Settings.
- Tap on notifications, you will see the same options as we saw when we tried turning off notifications completely.
- This time, however, you need to scroll down to the Group notifications section.
- Change the Notification tone to None. Don’t forget to also change the Vibrate settings to Off and tweak the Popup notification to No Popup.
- Once you’ve changed those settings then you’re done!
On the other hand, if you’d like to mute notifications for a specific group, here’s what you need to do:
- Open the group that you want to mute or silence.
- Click on the options in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select the Mute Notifications option.
- A popup window should appear asking you as to how long you want to mute the group conversation. Select the longest time which is 1 year.
- You have now successfully muted conversations for the group! This is just a temporary mute and will last for 1 year so you’ll have to refresh it every year.
Lastly, you might want to mute a specific person only. It’s also possible on the app itself.
Turn Off Notifications for a Specific Contact
If you’re not in the mood to be notified by a certain person then you need to follow these steps to mute notifications for a specific contact.
- Open the contact that you want to mute
- Click on the options in the upper right
- Tap on Mute notifications (the same with groups)
- Select 1 year, or how long you’d like to mute the conversation
These are the various ways that you can mute contacts on WhatsApp. If you’d like to mute conversations completely then you’ve got a lot of options at your disposal. Just find the best notifications mute for WhatsApp that fits your needs – whether it’s by using the built-in notification options on Android or using the app itself to prevent notifications. Both Android and WhatsApp has made it easy to block notifications.
Did these steps help you? Let me know in the comments!