Requirements for availing PMAY (Urban and Rural) | PMAY Eligibility Criteria
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana was started by the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim to providing suitable houses to the low-income people living in the rural and urban areas of the country. There are two different schemes, PMAY Rural and PMAY Urban. As the name indicates, PMAY Urban scheme aims at providing affordable living houses to the poor people living in the urban cities, while PMAY rural scheme was created to build proper houses for the people living in rural areas of India.
To avail the benefits of any of the two PMAY schemes, a candidate must fulfill the basic eligibility criteria. The candidates will have to provide required documents as the proof of identity, age and income of the applicants. Let’s discuss the eligibility requirements in detail for each scheme.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Eligibility Criteria
The PMAY Urban scheme was started for the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), Low-Income Groups (LIG), and Mid-Income Groups (MIG) of the society. The eligibility criteria to avail the scheme are very relaxed, but an applicant still needs to provide the related documents to prove his authenticity.
Criteria for EWS applicants: In addition to the valid identity and age proofs, an applicant also needs to provide his family income documents. A household with an annual income of Rs. 3 lakh or less falls into this category.
LIG criteria: The Low-Income Group applicants are eligible for the PMAY scheme only if they can provide sufficient income and other documents to prove that the person or family belongs to the LIG category. The annual income of the family must be between Rs. 3 lakh and 6 lakh to avail the scheme under this category.
MIG (Mid-Income Groups): This category can be further classified into the following two.
- MIG 1: Households with an annual income of up to Rs. 12 lakhs can apply for the PMAY scheme, given that they have sufficient income proof to show at the time of verification.
- MIG 2: An applicant with the annual household income between Rs. 12 lakh and 18 lakh can avail the scheme under this category.
Minority Groups: The government is also allowing the persons belonging to the minor communities including SC, ST, and OBC to apply for the PMAY scheme, only if they could provide adequate caste certificates to verify their eligibility.
Women: Women from minority and other low-income categories will also be eligible to avail the PMAY scheme.
Besides the above criteria, there are some other requirements for the PMAY scheme as mentioned below.
- The beneficiary must be a permanent resident of the particular urban area to receive the scheme benefits.
- A beneficiary family should be comprised of a husband, a wife, and unmarried children.
- A beneficiary should not already own a pucca house in the name of any of his family members or himself.
- The family leader must not be aged over 70 years at the time of application.
Documents Required for PMAY Urban Scheme
All eligible candidates, who wish to avail the benefits of the PMAY scheme, must provide the following documents to the relevant authority at the time of registration for the PM Awas Yojana.
- Proof of Identity – Aadhaar card/ PAN card/ Voter ID card/ MNREGA card/ Passport/ Driving license or any other valid ID proof.
- Proof of Address – Voter ID Card/ Electricity bill/ Aadhaar card/ Water bill/ telephone bill/ Passport/ Driving license, etc.
- Proof of Category (Caste) – Category certificate for SC/ ST/ OBC or Minority certificate.
- Proof of Nationality – Passport/ Voter ID/ Aadhaar Card/ Birth certificate
- Proof of Income – Income certificate issued by the income tax department of India/ Salary statement/ IT return statements/ Self-declaration certificate.
- Valuation certificate with bank accounts details – Bank account & property details certificate signed by a proper authority.
- Construction documents – Construction agreement, the cost of construction certificate, Fitness certificate, NOC by the housing society, etc.
- Document of no existing pucca house – A court affidavit stating that the beneficiary does not already own a pucca house on his own or a family member’s name.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Rural (PMAY-G) Eligibility Criteria
A person eligible for the PMAY rural scheme also needs to provide certain documents to avail the scheme benefits. The selection of beneficiaries will be done by the concerned Panchayat or Gram Sabha for a particular village. The list of beneficiaries will be prepared based on the records from the Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011 (SECC 2011) data. No separate applications will be accepted from the individual candidates for the PMAY rural scheme registration.
Candidates who are currently living in kuccha houses or do not own a house will be given preference under the scheme. The department will release a list of beneficiaries every year. The government has decided to make as many as 4 crores pucca houses in rural areas under the PMAY-G scheme. If you have not made the cut-off in this year’s list, you can still make it in the beneficiary list next year.
Frequently Asked Questions?
1. Do I have to be married to avail PMAY scheme?
No. If your income is between 6 lakhs to 18 lakhs, you come under MIG (Middle Income Group) and can still avail PMAY without being married. Source: http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report-one-need-not-be-married-to-avail-pmay-benefits-2426616