How to Convert Excel to Google Sheets
Microsoft Excel is useful for a lot of things in a closed environment. What I mean by that is if you’re in an office and all your computers are connected in a network, it’s a very powerful tool. However, since most modern jobs would require a team effort on spreadsheets, Google Sheets is a much better platform to use. But what if all your files are in MS Excel format and you want to move them to Google Sheets? Then you have to convert those files, and I’ll walk you through how to do it.
Here’s how to convert Excel to Google Sheets.
Requirements before Converting
If you’re new to using the Google Suite of apps, then you might not have a Google Drive yet. Google Drive is simply a cloud based storage for your files and it enables you to upload files to “the cloud”. This makes it easy for you to access all your files from anywhere. Signing up is free and once you have a Google Drive, converting will be a piece of cake.
Create a Google Drive by going clicking here and clicking on sign up. You’ll unlock the Google suite of apps by having a Google Account.
Converting Excel by Uploading and Opening in Google Sheets
One of the tricks that you can make use of opening the file straight from Google Sheets. It will upload your file to your Google Drive and convert it at the same time. It’s very convenient!
- Open the Google Sheets homepage
- Click on the Open File button at the upper right (Folder button)
- Click on Upload
- Drag and drop your Excel file to the website. Or click on Select a file from your computer to select it
- Once your file is done uploading, it should already be converted to Google Sheets
This is an easy way to start transferring your files to Google sheets.
From Google Drive to Google Sheets
If you’ve already uploaded your Microsoft Excel files to your Google Drive, it’s really easy to convert them to Google Sheets. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your Google Drive and locate the file you want to convert
- Right-click on the file. An options menu should pop up for you.
- Choose Open With then click on Google Sheets
- Your file will be converted and opened in Google Sheets
This is one of the fastest and easiest ways to convert your XLS and XLSX files to Google Sheets.
Compatible File Types
The following excel file types are convertible to Google Sheets:
.xls, .xlsx, .ods, .csv, .tsv, .xlsm, .xlt, .xltx, .xltm, .txt, .tab
Essentially, whether you use Excel or OpenOffice files, it’s easily convertible to excel.
Incompatible Excel Features
There are some incompatible features to Google Sheets such as:
- Password Protection
- Connection to other Worksheets
- Embedded charts from MS PowerPoint and Word
For these, you’ll have to re-add the features again using built-in Google Sheet features.
Did this guide help you out? Let me know in the comments.