Top 5 Android Apps to Book Railway Tickets in India
The travel industry has been booming in India and has grown to a $210 billion sector in the past decade. Consequently, the government has made booking and managing travel tickets much easier. And now, smartphones are the way to go when it comes to booking railway tickets. The IRCTC website has been the go-to place to book tickets for a long time now, but now, it has paved way for more futuristic, more accessible ways to book tickets online and more importantly, with a much more user-friendly UI. They make the entire process hassle-free and everything is right at your fingertips.
These are the top 5 Android Apps which one can use to book a Railway Ticket in India:
1. IRCTC Rail Connect
The IRCTC Rail Connect is the official app of the IRCTC website, working basically as a bookmark of the IRCTC mobile website. It is available on the Google Play Store. With more than 10 million downloads, a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars a third position in the list of Top Free Travel & Local apps, this tops our list for an extremely convenient way to book your tickets. The app occupies memory as low as 11 MB.
- In this app, one can book tickets for any train easily. The train schedule is also provided while booking the train. One can also search for various trains.
- By creating a personal account, one can easily manage their previous bookings. Checking the PNR status is an important task, and in this app, they have it all on one page.
- One can also opt for the advanced security feature of the self-assigned PIN for log-ins. The app supports booking for Ladies, Tatkal and Premium Tatkal Quota.
- The payment method is integrated with the IRCTC e-wallet. So, one can pay either through credit and debit cards, net-banking, e-wallets and UPIs. The payment is faster, hassle-free and completely secure.
- Users can cancel tickets from the app itself, even if the ticket is booked online or through old mobile apps.
- The app also provides information about the probability of the ticket getting confirmed. This truly is an all-in-one app for railway ticket booking.
- Just like the official IRCTC website, one cannot book tickets from 23:40 to 00:20 hours in the night. This is when the servers are kept for maintenance.
2. ixigo trains
ixigo trains is an official IRCTC partner app. Here, the users are offered every feature they might need to plan their travel. This app is developed by ixigo.com and is available on the Google Play Store with a rating of 4.5 stars. It has over 10 million downloads and is ranked second in Top Free Travel & Local. Even though it is only 9 MB in size, it includes all of the features that makes it one of the highest rated railway apps.
- The app, being so light-weight as it may, offers features similar to IRCTC. Here, one can search for trains running between all railway stations.
- The results also show train schedules and seat availability. The option to check the PNR status of a booked ticket is also available here.
- The app further provides predictions about the confirmation of a ticket during its booking. The status of a train, while it is running, is also available here, enabling the user to easily spot their train.
- They can also inquire about train timings and station platforms. There is zero payment gateway charge and service charge, making this an app as good as IRCTCs.
- Payment can be done by debit and credit cards, net-banking and many new methods too.
- Since the app uses the IRCTC servers, tickets here can’t be booked between 23:40 and 00:20 hours a day as well.
- The train tracking services of the app are not available when the device is offline. Unlike other railway apps, one cannot book food on this app.
Trainman is also another official partner of the IRCTC app. It has the highest rated railway ticket booking app in Google Play Store with a rating of 4.6 stars. Even though the app is fairly new, it has already been downloaded more 1 million times. It is also a low sized app of 9 MBs. This app is available in 7 languages including English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, etc.
- One can easily book trains between any stations. Since Trainman is an authorized online travel agent, booking tickets are as simple as it gets.
- Searching for the trains is really easy and the app provides train schedules too. The seat availability and the PNR status prediction helps users to be informed about the chances of ticket confirmation.
- The payment is secure and hassle-free. It takes less than a minute to book train tickets on Trainman. Train and PNR inquiry is also provided.
- This app has the feature to get the running status of the trains even when offline. They also have easy cancellations and help in fare and refund calculation.
- One can get food on the train and get to know their platform numbers too.
- Trainman charges transaction and service fees for ticket booking as they are an online agent.
- The food service is not available at every railway station. The delivery system is not yet well developed.
Another one of IRCTCs official app partners, the Confirmtkt app has a 4.5-star rating with 1 million+ downloads. This is the smallest app with a size of 6 MB. This app accesses information directly from IRCTC.
- Booking tickets and train schedules are not the only features this app possesses. One can also cancel tickets with the help of this app.
- The app also shows live running status, seat availability and the hidden seats that can be confirmed from the previous or next stations.
- One can also order food through this app. The app keeps users notified of any changes in the PNR status of their tickets.
- The app also informs the train timings and platform number of the train a user has booked tickets for.
- To top it all off, the app also uses GPS to find nearby sources for food or cab services.
- The app charges its users a confirmation and service fee.
- This online agent provides with cab and food services, but they are not available at every station.
MakeMyTrip is a famous holiday and travel app that also offers IRCTC Authorized railway bookings. It has over 10 million downloads with a rating of 4.2 stars. The app provides various services like flight booking and hotel bookings too. The app, at 20 MB, is comparatively larger in size.
- This is a one-stop source for ticket booking. One can easily search for trains and book them instantly.
- This app provides booking in general, as well as a tatkal quota. There is an option to check the ticket’s PNR status too.
- E-tickets can be easily managed and the refund process is simple, making cancellation easier.
- The payment is protected by secure servers. One can also use the in-app provided wallet to store their money.
- Here, payment through a lot of international methods is accepted. There are seasonal discounts which make tickets a little cheaper.
- This app is majorly used for flight and hotel bookings.
- The railway booking on this app is usable but not sophisticated.
- The app is also larger in size than most rail apps.
All the apps listed above have a decent number of downloads and ratings. This proves that these apps make complete justice to the task of booking railway tickets in India. Just have a look at the merits and demerits, choose one app which suits your requirements and plan your next railway trip easily!